Strategy Map for a City Simulation

Dataviz, Information Design
(Mar, 2019)

Data visualisation for a company that develops games and simulations to drive policy change.

Field’s of View, based in Bangalore, developed a simulation that allows policy makers to visualise various future scenarios of a city.


Various level of government (city, state, centre) must come together to collaborate across the various stages of the policy cycle in order to implement certain strategies that need to be put in place in order to achieve a future scenario. FoV worked with the representatives of various agencies of govt. during the course of a workshop they designed, to understand:

  • what was desired (5 scenarios)
  • what needed to be done (long list of strategies per scenario)
  • who had to do it (the levels of govt.)
  • when it needed to be done (the stages of the policy cycle)
  • what ground conditions supported/contradicted these strategies (the personnel, equipment and rules conditions)

I was asked to visualise the outcomes of this workshop which were collated in the form of a spreadsheet. Since the timeline to put together all of this was ~7 days, I began with an instinct to represent the policy cycle as a circle (a different circle for each scenario), which would contain all the interconnections.

The idea was to display different depths of information - (a) at a glance you can see how much of a role each govt. level plays via colour and the size of the inner circles (b) when you look closer you can see the split between the various policy stages i.e. implementation is a sizeable chunk of where the work lies; in the initial stages the state has a bigger role to play but during implementation it’s mostly the city.


The text here was hard to read and there was some trouble with the interconnections. I decided to push it a bit further and see how this could be resolved.

This time around I decided that on clicking on a stage of the cycle you would see a zoomed in version of the circle with the strategies and conditions laid out in legible text.


Although this solved the earlier problem, the information, the form the connections were becoming really awkward. Some visual cues were redundant and overall didn’t feel right. As a last ditch effort, I decided to let go of the circle, cool as it was.


I created a linear view that mapped out far more information, in a much simpler way. Using the the previous two-stage method, the first viz was an overview, which in turn led to smaller breakdown of information for each stage. I created light and dark versions in order to make it easier to present in any kind of ambient light.


Due to the tight deadline this was created as stills, made interactive using a prototyping software like Invision.